Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Reading response 1

After reading the article "The UC logo controversy" I had a few problems with how this whole thing came to play. First off I think the University of California should of had the consideration to talk to the public about even coming up with this logo and fully explain its usage in the long run then putting it side by side with the seal. Another thing is that the comity got so defensive with how the public didn't know anything about the meaning of this design and to pretty much tell everyone even designers to back off and their opinion didn't mater. I read a comment and it stated "Good design doesn't need an explanation" and when you have so many people telling you you're design is bad it probably is. I for one like some of the usage of the design but have a problem that it was going to be the identity for the entire campus and institutes. For my understanding the University of California is a really prestigious school and I think school like that have their own identity using their own design that they don't have to change and become "just like everyone else" it already stands out on it's own. Lastly the people defending this logo and telling everyone to back off and telling designers they don't understand how much work and time went into this logo are just a bunch of morons. All designers good and back know that the process of good design what ever that maybe takes a lot of time and trial and error.

After reading the Article "Graphic Design Criticism as a Spectator Sport" I do agree that most people are afraid of change in designs that they seem to be attached too. I know that as a designer I go around and look at design and critique on the design. I also know that bad design can also be the clients fault. I have done freelance work for my dad and our neighborhood and what the board wants I had to do. Even after countless explanations on why my piece was the one they should use they stuck to their guns. Though after a sign or two was printed out I had members come up to me and tell me that they should have gone with the original design. I do see Graphic design criticism as a spectator sport. I think anyone that has gone to art school or taken any design courses can look at something and see what could make a design better and question why they designed something this way.


No comments:

Post a Comment