Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Different Readings

For this assignment I read the chapter on the digital future of graphic design, entitled Printing with Pixels in Cramsie's The story of Graphic design and The Digital Revolution and Beyond in Megg's History of Graphic design. Both books I feel had a good amount of information about the subject, however there are a few key differences that I noticed. In Cramsie the history was more focused on a brief history about the mac computer and how they revolutionized the way graphic design is today. Also in his text he focuses in on a few key designers such as Greiman, Brody, LanderLans and Carson. Which to me are very important people to know during tis time period. Aslo Cramsie's text was for me easier to read and not so overwhelming with information that Megg's seemed to be.
While reading Megg's history on the subject I found the text included a lot of little things that weren't necessary but very interesting. Things such as why a mouse on a computer is called a mouse. You don't really need to know but it's always fun to have some weird trivial knowledge on the subject. Also Megg's text had pictures of what the first icons looked like on the mac and to see that evolve so much is amazing to me. Another thing that I thought was weird during both books with the name "LanderLans" was spelt two different ways Cramsie put "LanderLands" and Meggs put "Landerlans".
Megg's book had a few different artist that did not show up in Cramsie that were good to have but I also think it started to make the chapter drag out a little too long.
Lastly I Megg's book had a section of MTV in the text and how the logo had changed so much. I think both books should have a section of MTV not because it's one of my favorite channels on tv but because of how it started to revolutionize how people made ads and how people designed.

No comments:

Post a Comment